We all know there are so a lot of diverse coaching methods, coaching packages, and coaching personalities. Numerous gymnastics coaches efficiently get their gymnasts more robust, but they do not necessarily include ample activity specific instruction into their applications. I have seen gymnasts advantage from the general toughness exercise routines these kinds of as drive ups, but when it comes time to perform certain expertise the gymnast’s muscle tissues are not often prepared, accustomed to the sequence of movements for the skills, or powerful adequate in each placement essential to properly full the ability.
Gymnasts truly need to have a assortment of training to contain sport certain training besides standard energy conditioning in get to far more carefully simulate the expertise in our activity. For illustration, numerous straight arm workout routines these kinds of as the entrance lateral increase, press handstand, or planche drills a lot more intently simulate gymnastics skills than bent arm workouts such as the thrust up, bench press, or reverse dips.
Here is 1 straight arm exercise that has aided many gymnasts strengthen their chest, shoulders, and back again muscle tissue, turning into more powerful in two extremely important motions. Given that the gymnast often should be in a position to open up and near the shoulder angle in the course of capabilities on uneven bars, I have included a really useful physical exercise which incorporates both up and down movements. This one particular should assist her find out to successfully changeover from a single arm movement to the following with relieve. Image your gymnast executing a glide kip, forged handstand, clear hip handstand. She will have to reverse shoulder actions many times inside this brief period of time of time. After you see the shoulder actions essential to connect these expertise you will see the motives I experienced for incorporating two workout routines into 1 drill much more than a ten years ago. This workout truly alternates the motions of opening and then closing the shoulder angle.
rhythmic gymnastics music /Kip Drill (Barbell / Toning Bar)
one. Location your gymnast for the duration of this exercising. Give her complete guidelines ahead of she commences the physical exercise.
two. Placing Up: Have your gymnast lie on her again between two folded panel mats with her arms over her head. Her head need to stay between the mats, but her arms and wrists should go outside of the mats in get to allow the bar to practically touch the floor following it is lifted over head for full assortment of movement.
3. The folded mats need to be a couple of inches greater than your gymnast although she is lying amongst them for basic safety reasons. The bar have to be long adequate so that every single conclude can rest on the heart of 1 of the mats. The bar will be lifted from and returned to the mats without touching your gymnast. There should be enough clearance for your gymnast to slide in or out even though the bar rests on the mats. Despite the fact that you will be recognizing your gymnast, the mats will also assist stop the bar from touching her. If one mat on every single side is not higher adequate, you should use two folded mats on every side. If the bar is introduced down also speedily or falls, it ought to land on the mats, not your gymnast. This is a really protected physical exercise when the mentor and gymnast hold protection in thoughts.
four. When the mats are established up, area the bar on the mats and make certain it will not drop between the mats or roll off.
five. Starting up Position: When the mats and bar are in location, instruct your gymnast to sit in between the mats, slide her legs below the bar, and then lie down. She ought to placement herself so that the bar is earlier mentioned her hips.
6. As soon as positioned, permit your gymnast to grasp the bar and then straighten her arms. Instruct your gymnast to hold her arms straight, but not to lock them.
7. Be watchful the bar does not shift to an unsafe beginning place.
8. Up coming, instruct her to raise the bar up towards ceiling and then toward the ground above her head to simulate a cast to handstand movement with her higher entire body.
9. Remind your gymnast to carry on to keep the bar securely and then allow her to elevate the bar off the floor, towards ceiling yet again, and then lower it to the mat previously mentioned her hips to simulate a kip with her upper entire body.
ten. Enable your gymnast to continue with a number of repetitions if she is in a position. Tell her that it need to be a steady movement as soon as she is comfy.
11. Your gymnast will very likely want a lot more location lifting the bar from the mat (the initiation phase) which entails the shoulders (deltoids) than she will on the return period which includes the back (latissimus) muscles. Be well prepared to place all phases of this workout. You can have 1 coach location each portion. To location the raise from the mat, kneel on one of the mats to assist your gymnast elevate off the mat. Kneel around her head to place the lift from the ground. Make certain you can attain the bar, specially when it is previously mentioned your gymnast’s human body.
twelve. Start off with the lightest bar possible, perhaps even a broomstick to make sure correct security and sort. When accustomed to this physical exercise, your gymnast can use weights on a barbell or a firming bar, but it must often rely on her toughness and experience. If you are utilizing a bar with no weights, you can wrap a thick towel around each finish to help prevent your gymnast’s knuckles from touching the floor.
The next physical exercise is far more evident. This one also will help the gymnast with distinct gymnastics skills due to the fact she will be in and out of a handstand. The Planche – Virtual Handstand – Planche Drill is a excellent physical exercise for physique tightness, handle, higher body strength, and main energy. This drill is an appropriate exercise for gymnasts on so many ranges, such as people predicted to execute the cast handstand and distinct hip handstand on bars in the close to foreseeable future.
1. Instruct your gymnast to stand with her back to a spotting block or mat stack, location her fingers on the flooring, and then place 1 foot/ankle on the block. Once your gymnast has one foot/ankle on the block, she can then place her other foot/ankle up on the block.
two. Now your gymnast must be in an elevated drive up placement with her feet on the block. Your gymnast’s legs, hips, and chest need to continue to be off the floor throughout this workout.
three. Now that your gymnast is in the elevated press up placement, instruct her to move her hands closer to the spotting block and her shoulders ahead in buy to sort a slight planche placement.
4. Once your gymnast is in the planche place with her toes on the block, instruct her to squeeze her buttocks and then to pull her tummy button in. You need to see the decrease part of your gymnast’s again elongate into the correct lower back placement for a handstand (pelvic tilt).
five. After your gymnast has shaped the right form with her reduced body, instruct her to push down on the ground and pull in her upper body concurrently. The portion of your gymnast’s back again among her shoulder blades should rise towards the ceiling. Your gymnast has just performed a protraction / shoulder shrug in the planche push up position. To aid train the shoulder shrug touch the portion of your gymnast’s back that is in between her shoulder blades and inquire her to press up on your hand to kind the rounded back again.
six. Instruct your gymnast to maintain that limited condition during the relaxation of the workout.
seven. To commence the exercising, instruct your gymnast to raise 1 of her legs up towards the ceiling, but to keep her other foot/ankle on the block. Your gymnast’s human body, with the exception of the foot/ankle nonetheless supported on the block should have moved as one particular device up to the single leg, or virtual, handstand. The leg that is pointed towards the ceiling need to be the a single forming the handstand shape together with the upper body.
8. Your gymnast’s shoulders, hips, and 1 ankle should be right previously mentioned her hands although the other leg continues to be supported on the block. Notify your gymnast that her hips and shoulders need to remain sq. with the block. Her buttocks must be below, stomach in, hip opened, chest in, and shoulders in a shrug/stretched placement. Remaining sq. and limited is not often simple for the gymnast.
9. As soon as your gymnast is in the correct one leg, or digital, handstand situation she can commence the return motion by little by little reducing her free leg back again to the block and shifting her shoulders slightly ahead so she returns to the planche drive up placement. Your gymnast’s entire body must transfer as 1 device to the starting placement. Instruct your gymnast to preserve her head in line with her spine, neither tucked in nor tilted again.
10. Subsequent, instruct your gymnast to return to the single leg, or digital, handstand place by lifting her totally free leg back up over her hips so that she is vertical, with the exception of her supported leg. She have to also open up her armpits again up, and square her shoulders and hips with the block. Your gymnast must bring her shoulders and head into alignment for the right handstand form again. Instruct your gymnast to seem at the flooring just above her arms for the planche and then at the block for the handstand.
11. After your gymnast understands the movement of the digital handstand to planche and back again to the handstand, request her to comprehensive a couple of repetitions before stopping if she is capable.
twelve. Tell your gymnast not to planche also far ahead until finally she builds strength and becomes really comfortable so she does not collapse.
thirteen. You should also advise your gymnast to converse when she is fatigued so that you can permit her to relaxation. This exercising puts remarkable pressure on your gymnast’s wrists. You need to enable her to relaxation when she communicates that her wrists are acquiring tired.
This exercise, when performed properly, closely simulates the shoulder motions of the cast handstand and clear hip handstand on uneven bars. You can use a floor bar as extended as the flooring bar is stable.
The continuous modify in shoulder angle brings about a modify in the demand on your gymnast’s upper physique muscle tissue. Your gymnast must build energy in a broad range of positions after performing this drill frequently and regularly more than the program of time.
As you can see, these exercises are so a lot different from push ups due to the fact of the straight arm instruction which so closely simulates gymnastics skills. Your gymnast’s complete upper entire body will be challenged with this exercising. If done frequently and regularly this drill should assist immensely with total upper human body energy in addition to particular gymnastics capabilities.
Despite the fact that the push up and bench press are wonderful exercise routines, they do not really simulate the gymnastics skills of woman gymnasts. Gymnastics capabilities should be simulated in a protected way in order to prepare a gymnast’s brain and physique to execute gymnastics expertise securely and efficiently.